Tuesday 27 January 2009

The Glamorous Life

Last week I received a call from my old piano teacher asking if I was "free to dance on Sunday". He'd been contacted by some people he met at a party a year ago and asked if he new any dancers who would be free on Sunday to do a video shoot for a scene in their bollywood film. He must have remembered that I told him about doing theatre and musicals when I was taking lessons with him and asked if I'd take part.

So I was thrown in at the deep end and had two rehearsals with the other dancers to learn the routine and during the rehearsals new bits would be added and learnt. It wasn't as daunting as I thought it would be and the professional and/or in-training dancers were friendly and helpful. On the day we got to Reading at 10am and then realised what a shambles we were getting involved in. The director and his crew were two hours late and he was giving no direction leaving it up to our choreographer to deal with the dance troupe and the extras, and my piano teacher more of less directing the whole shoot throughout the day... despite originally being asked to only find some dancers.

The actual filming itself was a lot of fun (and I burned some serious cals, always a plus!) and I'm glad of the experience but it was a long day, badly organized and come 9:30pm, having been on our feet in HEELS for the past 10 hours, our diva sides came out we gave the director 3 more minutes of out time and then promptly left to trek back to London. To be fair we had been their longer and worked harder than anyone else and I'm including some of the techy/camera guys who called up to help out just like us dancers.



The extras on set, looking bored and waiting around... a lot!



Us being filmed in mid-dance routine. I'm second from right.

It's Tuesday now and I'm completely knackered as between work, rehearsals and filming I've also been having a social life and getting to bed late with early rises. I spent Friday in the a charming, cosy little flat with lots of friends of a friend eating food and having big girlie chats and drawing up a list of all the qualities we want in a man. On Saturday I saw New Kids on The Block in concert. I was extremely impressed by the show as there was such a great atmosphere, certainly one of the most enjoyable concerts I've been too. One of the best bits was Donnie Wahlberg picking a 5 year old girl out of the audience to dance with and she was not impressed. She looked quite disgusted or maybe terrified of what was going on.

I'm looking forward getting a few more hours of sleep come Saturday but even then I have two auditions to prepare for and attend (one on Saturday, one on Sunday) and another rehearsal later this week for a musical. So no rest for the wicked, however as busy as I am I feel this is the way my life should be heading right now.

3 comments:

LJ said...

Wheeee famouth! Big thucktheth! THKINNEH!!!

Did they perform Tonight?

Imelda said...

Aye, they did. On a wee round stage in the middle of the crowd. Then they walked through the audience back to the stage and did a reprise of it. Fun times!

LJ said...

Bloody love Tonight. Did you cry? Tears of ecstasy from your dripping clodge?