Sunday 4 November 2007

Underwhelming.

I had been waiting for my mum's Sunday night telephone call so I could tell her all about signing up to do the marathon and her reaction disappointed and surprised me.

I should be used to it by now. Any time I call her with news of my lastest show I'm involved in or a course I'm doing, she's always less than impressed. The only time I get an excited response from her is when I've been offered yet another temp job for a reasonable payrate. I used to keep quiet about all my singing/acting projects in the past as I didn't want to be discouraged by her reaction but as I got older and more secure in myself I began to open up and fill her in more on what was happening in my life. I even allowed myself to sound excited when giving her the details.She usually responds by asking a couple of questions about it (ALWAYS "What are they paying you?") but then she quickly moves onto some random thing happening in my brother/sister's lives and never brings up my news again. I give her the details but she never asks how rehearsals are going, do I feel nervous, how the show went etc. Tonight after sounding less than interested in the news that her daughter (the one that was a fat teenager and looked like a zombie!) will run 26 miles for a charity and responding with silence, she quickly moved onto a HILARIOUS story about how her and my elder sister were trying to buy Mamma Mia tickets for Christmas without the other knowing. Fun!

I shouldn't be surprised. She's never been interested in what's going on in my life if it doesn't involve a good job with a good payrate. I stupidly got my hopes up because this was different news as I'm doing something big for myself and for the benefit of others. She didn't even ask what the charity was but there was probably no point in telling her anyway as it doesn't involve me working in a bank and being paid lots, so it would have been uneccessary strain on my vocals cords telling her so.

Some things never change and I should be used to it now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm. I know you said not to comment here but am doing so anyway.

I don't know what it is with parents. I think it's their roundabout way of wanting 'the best' for you, and not realising that your definition of best is the polar opposite from theirs.

I think you go round and round with this too, one minute you feel really stubborn and decide you're going to force it down their throats, and then the next you decide you won't tell them anything. I favour the latter coz if they don't bother listening then they don't deserve to know. Then, I'd run the marathon, feel amazing, raise a fortune, help charity... and post her my clippings. And if she goes "ooh what's this?" say it's the thing you mentioned a year ago when she changed the subject back to your sister.

*hugs* Parents suck!

Imelda said...

I feel like not telling her anything going on in my loife anymore. I always felt that I was keeping too much from my parents but everytime I do open up and involve them in my life they're unimpressed or too distracted to bother paying attention to what I'm saying. Well, I tried.